Library Staff

Library Staff
All in a row

Monday, August 15, 2011

Beyond Method #6

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1400/1400-h/1400-h.htm

I looked at Great Expectations by Charles Dickens too look up at Project Gutenberg. I did not find the text particularly easy to read but if I actually wanted to spend the time reading it I would just increase the size of the text and then it would have been okay. The choices were actually pretty amazing and it was easy to distinguish what would work on a Kindle because it said "Kindle without images." Should I have occasion to use an ereader I would certainly try Project Gutenberg for titles. I actually would like to read Great Expectations again since it's been 42 years since I studied it in sophomore English. I do believe that patrons would be interested in Project Gutenberg and will steer them in that direction should the need arise.

My ebook story!
Last March my husband and I went on a trip to Rome and Sweden. My daughter had gotten a Nook during the Christmas steal-a-gift so she passed it along to me to use on the trip. I blithely downloaded two very large Fantasy titles from Barnes and Noble. I keep thinking, "This is great, I can take two 1000 page tomes with me on an airplane and it barely takes up any space at all." The trip over went great. Reading in the hotel room went great. Thursday morning we left our hotel for the Rome airport to fly to Stockholm. All checked in and with a long wait I'm ready to read. The Nook was showing a half charge when I turned it off the night before so I knew everything was okay. I was silently congratulating myself again on having an ereader and then...I tried to turn it on. Nothing. No lights, no indication at all that it was on or off... So, of course, I had to have a book and promptly went to the airport bookstore and bought the most expensive paperback suspense novel I've ever purchased. When we arrived at the hotel room in Gotenberg that evening I plugged in the Nook and it did need charging and worked after that. I will never travel without a backup book again! And quite honestly I haven't used the Nook since. I just can't make myself pay for books when I'm surrounded by them all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment